Thursday, January 20, 2011

the internet catches up with Paula Deen

Paula Deen publishes a recipe for English peas on the Food Network website which, as far as I can tell, is just heating 2 cans of peas in a 1/2 stick of butter. 3 years later, it finally goes viral, and the comments section is something special.

My favorites so far:
I tried it but I thought it might be missing something..... oh yeah, it's a trailer park.

If my can of peas has small Spanish translations under the English text, will they still work for this recipe?

The English peas turned out just great with a little help from my new friend Annette, and went perfectly with Boiled Hot Dog on Hot Dog Bun, in particular, and she's promised to walk me through that one soon. She suggested I work up to it with one of Chef Deen's intermediate recipes first, though, like Opened Bag of Chips Adjacent to Opened Can of Dip.

If these were truly English peas, the recipe would have included making sure that you overcook them till mushy and all "pop" is gone from them. But I liked this recipe anyway. Although I didn't have any canned peas, so I dug through my freezer for frozen ones. Finding none, and with my butter already melted, I decided to slice up some bananas lengthwise and cook them in the butter, but it needed a little smidge of something, so I dumped half a cup of dark brown sugar in there, which was absolutely lovely, but simply not showy enough, so I tossed in some banana liqueur and a splash of rum. Of course, since I cook on a gas stove, I probably shouldn't have shook the pan so vigorously because the rum lit on fire and the whole dish burned until all the rum cooked off. But I spooned it over some vanilla bean ice cream and called it good. It was good. Will try Paula's recipe again in the future (with my modifications, of course!

Which half of the 1/2 stick of butter should I melt?

This reminds me of when I used to eat with my Aunt and Uncle back in my home town. She'd open a can of k'luth, which is Bachi for peas. Some times we wouldn't know what we would get because we lost our translator droid during the previous harvest.

I took helpful tips from one of the reviewers and I had something that came out exactly like Bananas Foster! Yum!!

No comments: